Friday, May 9, 2014

Cailyn Makeup Tinted Lip Balm Review

I got this in my Ipsy Bag for April...no signup/affiliate links!



Cailyn Cosmetics always seems to be popular in the Ipsy bags, and this is the second product from them I have seen in an Ipsy bag in 3 months. The first was an eyeliner that I did not get in my March bag (I need another eyeliner like I need another lipstick lol), and then for the month of April, they had the tinted balms. I was excited to see it pop up in my Glam Room and was still excited up until I saw it.

Waaa Waa. 




Cailyn Cosmetics Tinted Lip Balm in 14. Acid Pink ($19) is suppose to be "super moisturizing," "ultra-matte," not to smudge, with no retouches required, and "help heal and prevent wrinkling, roughness, and dryness." WHEEWH! That is a bunch of claims for a lip balm. It is also suppose to be richly pigmented too so there is that.

I was excited to read all those claims, thinking this is going to be a cream, balmy, matte color that will really work for my dry-ish lips. Maybe I could tote it around with me in my emergency bag to take to work in a rush when I wake up late, or when hubby and I are unexpectedly going somewhere after our dinner.

I would be wrong. Take a look at this...


Banana not included for scale. Sorry :(

Whoa Momma! That's huge! I can't take it anywhere and I am having a hard time trying to find a place on my makeup station for it.

Also, sadly, there is little product in the container. For $19, I expected more. :( There is more in the LORAC gel eyeliner packaging, and it is a smaller version of the Cailyn packaging, which would have worked out better imho.

A better look inside the pot...


Despite the fact I was kinda pissed that $19 would only buy me a quarter-sized amount of product in a huge, awkward package that I can't take anywhere, I decided that since this was free I might as well try it. And I did. 

I did not use the top/brush contraption on it, but instead used a taklon angled brush from ELF to apply it. I find that angled brushes work much better than other types on my lips since I can make really sharp lines and cover better than with rounded-ended typical lip brushes or with the product itself. 




The lip balm went on smooth and pigmented. I only used a little bit to cover my whole lip with striking color. It stayed true to pan, and was smooth on my lips.

It did feel odd, just like it was sitting on top of my lips until after hour 3 when the product was down to a stain on my lips. It was matte and lovely until that point, in which it became patchy for the next 2 hours. After my lunch of hamburger and fries, all I had left was a pretty hot pink stain. It lasted an additional 4 hours, becoming drier, and patchier until I couldn't take the roughness and applied lip balm over it to help smooth the stain a bit and hydrate my lips.

The initial color was not long-lasting but the stain left behind by the color was. I didn't not find it hydrating nor drying at first, but once it was down to a stain, it was drying on me. It was patchy after hour 3 also and in need of a serious touch-up. It transferred, but not badly, before it went to a stain. 

For such high claims, it only holds up to the matte claim for me. And it's expensive. Along with a huge, awkward container. Honestly, even though the color is pretty rockn', I can't think of any reason for me to ever spend the $19 on such little product that doesn't work as-claimed for me. I just feel like I would be paying for the novel package idea. BOOO.


TL;DR--PRETTY COLOR. BAD PACKAGING. DOESN'T LIVE UP TO CLAIMS. EXPENSIVE.




No comments:

Post a Comment